OUR HISTORY OF FEMALE FOOTBALL
IN THE BEGINNING
For us our history started more than ten years ago with Courtney Young playing as part of our program to encourage girls to play in our mixed teams. She was shortly followed by Katherine Smith.
We have since had over 300 girls play footy at Blackburn.
We were one of the first clubs (one of only three) in the EFL to establish a girls’ football program back in 2012.
Building the program
- 2012 Established our first (Under 12) girls’ team
- 2013 Two Under 12 teams.
- 2014 Under 12 and 15 teams.
- 2015 Under 12, 15 and 18 teams.
- 2016 Under 10, 12, 15 and 18 teams.
- 2017 Under 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 teams.
- 2018 Under 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 teams and our first women’s team.
“At Blackburn, we are proud of our history in supporting female football. We have invested heavily to ensure we have a strong and sustainable program.”
Ten years ago Courtney Young playing as part of our program to encourage girls to play in our mixed teams.
WE’RE A HAPPY TEAM AT BLACKBURN…
Our program has enjoyed considerable success since the program started in 2015 with 3 winning premierships.