The Blackburn Junior and Senior Clubs have agreed to establish a women’s team in 2018.
Following the launch of the AFL women’s season earlier in the year, names such as Pearce, Hope, Perkins and Phillips have become household names.
Not only did we see huge crowds at the AFLW games but we have seen a significant increase in the number of women and girls playing football.
None of this comes as a surprise to us at Blackburn. We have been actively promoting girls playing football for more than ten years.
We’ve been running a hugely successful girls footy program for six years. Last year we had:
• Four teams
• Two grand finalist
• Three girls playing in the State Under 18s team
• Five girls playing in the State Under 15s team
This year we have around 100 girls playing in five teams : Under 10s, 12s, 14s, 16s and 18s.
We’ve already endured some amazing success with:
• Over a dozen girls at Oakleigh Chargers and Eastern Ranges
• Three girls selected for the State Under 15 team
• Our Under 14s, 16s and 18s all undefeated and destined for finals
And of course we have had:
• Our very first girl, Courtney Young, an assistant coach at Collingwood.
• Katherine Smith playing for Melbourne.
So it’s only fitting that we expand the club to include women’s football. This will complement both our existing football and netball programs, making Blackburn a truly community club.
Like our boys we will be providing a full pathway for girls from Auskick, through juniors, onto seniors and who knows the AFLW.
We will be holding an information night in July. In the interim, if you would like to get involved or know someone who wants to play, please let us know.
For further information, please contact Craig Smith on 0425801545 or email email@example.com
Matthew Breen Senior President & Pat Mannix Junior President